Submit a new pattern
If you are a designer you also need to read the Definition of Done for Sketch symbols contribution page
The creation of a new pattern on Mozaic Design System is usually done via the following workflow:
Creating your new pattern starts with creating a github branch dedicated to it.
This branch is ideally named as follows:
xxx refers to the name of your pattern (exemple : pattern-flags ou pattern-ratingstars).
Plop is a simple generator. We use it to save bootstrapping time when creating new pattern.
To use it, simply type in your terminal
npx plop pattern
Then the CLI will ask you 3 questions :
- the pattern name : use a Capital first letter and no spaces (ex: Buttons)
- the pattern path : from the
src/docsdirectory with no
/at the end (ex: Components)
- the pattern order : the position of your pattern in the navigation menu (an integer - ex: 4)
At the end of the process Plop will generate the required
design tabs with helping markdown content.
Here are the details of what is expected in each of these pages:
usage: this page will tell you how and when to use the patterns. It will help understand what the pattern allows the user to do so you can use it right
code: describe how developers should use the pattern. This is done through:
- indicate how to implement CSS (list the SCSS files to use/import)
- show the HTML code of the pattern (use the module
- show as many examples as possible of the pattern states (basic state, theme variations, size variations, with icons, etc...)
- list all the BEM modifiers applicable to the pattern
- indicate how to customize the pattern (variables/mixes to be used)
- indicate good practices to make the pattern accessible
specs: give details of the pattern specs, indicating all the values (variables, tokens, modifiers) associated with each state of the pattern
design: this page will be helpful for designers to know how the design file has been created and thought
Plop will also generate a basic preview.
The documentation should at minimum contain :
- a well thought pattern name
- a short and well thought definition
- what's the pattern to be developed
- how it should works
- in what cases it should be used or not
Your folder may also contain an implementation of the pattern's scss/js code with his related live html examples.
Once you have finished working on your pattern, it is time to push your branch and create a Pull Request associated with your work.
Please respect the Git conventions that we defined before pushing your work.
You will also find in the Git conventions page, the recommended method to make your Pull Request.